Nuffnang

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Melinda's Gluten-Free Chocolate Fudge Brownies

I was shopping for Country Life Gluten-Free bread in Woolworths Warilla Grove when I spotted this pretty pink box of ' Melinda's Gluten-free Goodies: Heavenly Chocolate Fudge Brownie' mix.  Intrigued, I turned to look at the back of the box and saw that it had a packet of mix plus a packet of chocolate that you melt with some butter and stir into the mixture along with two beaten eggs. Even better, I saw that there was a 2 for 1 sale on all Melinda's products. Sweet! I purchased a box of the Chocolate Fudge Brownie and another box of Lemon Slice that looked nice. How had I not heard of these before?

http://www.melindas.com.au/images/stories/products/chocfudgebrownie.gif
I decided to treat myself and make up some brownies and warm up my kitchen on this chilly Winter Sunday with temperatures in the single figures. I had a helping hand in mixing and tasting, Master Levi, almost three. He loved pouring the chocolate pieces into the bowl and measuring out the butter until the scales said 120g. A master button-presser he helped as we melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave and then watched as I stirred it until we had made a delicious chocolate that he couldn't help but sample before it was poured into the cake mix. He then helped crack the two eggs and whisk them up with a fork. Everything was stirred in together and then poured into muffin tins and put into the oven on 200oF for 30 minutes.

The recipe on the box asked for a square tin but he was determined that we use the muffin pans that he then helped to butter. The result is a cross between a fudge brownie and muffin that had the benefit of delicious gooey soft centre and lovely crust outside. Win-win! I have to say that they are hands-down my favourite gluten-free sweet treat so far. You would not know that they were wheat-free, dairy-free and I can honestly say that they are so delicious they would delight even the most fussy eater. I love eating cakes and brownies when they are warm out of the oven. There is nothing like it. I have to be careful to stick to a sensible portion which the muffin tray with six fudge brownie muffins made easy.

When I showed my husband the Gluten-free brownie mix earlier in the week he gave me a 'that's nice, dear' type comment and didn't share my excitement - until today when  he came back from shopping and tried one.  I could hear the same moans of enjoyment and he quickly poured some cream onto a plate and yummied one portion up in record time.

One of the muffins was only half-filled in an experiment to see how it affected the cooking flavour. As you would expect it cooked a lot faster and turned into a crunchy and delicious fudge brownie cookie that we fought over and dipped into the last of the cream. YUMMM!

Chocolate Fudge Brownies

The Chocolate Fudge Brownie is a heavenly mix of the finest ingredients including fair trade Dutch cocoa and specially sourced lactose-free chocolate. Quick and easy to prepare, only add 2 eggs or egg substitute and some butter or margarine for a delicious treat.

           Gluten-free
           Wheat-free
           Yeast-free
           Lactose-free option
           Egg-free option

 
Creative Variations
Sprinkle 100g of chopped milk Toblerone™ over brownie mixture before baking. Bake for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar or drizzle with melted white chocolate.
Ingredient List
Dark chocolate (23%) (sugar, vegetable oil, cocoa powder, emulsifier (soy lecithin, 492), flavours, Cocoa solid (12%)), gluten-free self-raising flour (maize starch, tapioca starch, soy flour, rice flour, raising agents (575, 501, 500)), brown sugar and cocoa powder.
Allergen warning
May contain traces of nuts as this product is packed on the same machine as other products. Machine is cleaned after other products packed but we cannot guarantee our product is 100% nut free.
The choc pieces are dairy-free however produced in a factory that contains other dairy products so must be labeled lactose-free. We have tested our product and they have tested as dairy free. However, we cannot guarantee our product is 100% dairy free.
AVG QTY PER SERVING AVG QTY PER 100g

ENERGY 764kJ 1910kJ
PROTEIN 2.68g 6.7g
FAT, total 6.2g 15.5g
 - saturated 5.24g 13.1g
CARBOHYDRATE 28.76g 71.9g
 - sugars 8.24g 20.6g
SODIUM 52mg 130mg
GLUTEN None detectable None detectable
Now that I have looked online I can see there is an extensive range of Melinda's products for me to experience. Look out for them in Woolworths and take advantage of the special price of two boxes for $10 whilst it lasts. Trust me - $5 for five portions of the best gluten-free brownies is great value!


http://www.melindas.com.au/images/stories/melindas%20sweet%20premix%20range.jpg

http://www.glutenfreegoodies.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Illawarra Gluten Free

.

Illawarra Gluten Free Map

View Illawarra Gluten-Free in a larger map

Slideshow